Friday, April 2, 2010

Why: I Want to Work For Ellen DeGeneres

How do you approach something with a plan that is just slightly out of the box, a little out of your comfort zone, and perhaps a tad bit unorthodox without appearing to be just a little too strange to be taken seriously? How do you contact someone you don’t know without coming off as somewhere between eccentric and stalker? How do you explain that you are as serious as a heart attack whilst using methods that are unconventional, downright silly, and liable to make you appear foolish rather than creative?

I have no idea.

But, I’m going to try.

Unemployment has given me the opportunity to do something I haven't done for years: watch daytime TV! I set up a television off to the right of my computer and I could watch away while searching for jobs, reading emails and traveling through the world we know of as the Internet. (Speaking of which, have you seen Google Earth? So cool.) And, of course, one of these shows is The Ellen DeGeneres Show. Every time I watched the show I would think, “I want to be a part of this. I want to work for her show.” After I would realize what a ridiculous thought that was … until the next time the show was on and there I was thinking again, “I want to be a part of this.”

I have always pretty much taken the safer path. Of course, we all have dreams. But life gets in the way. And while you are busy getting through your everyday life, day after day, month after month, year after year – sometimes the chances for the life you want to live, instead of the life you are living, slip away and you find more than half your life has gone by. And you ask yourself, “Is this it? Is this what I want to continue to do for the rest of my life? Or, just once, one time, do I take a chance? Do I lean out of my safety net and give something else a try? Something I actually want to do? Something I would enjoy doing?”

Well, now, this is me – doing exactly that.

I want to work for The Ellen DeGeneres Show. When I watch the show, I see someone who is truly happy with what they are doing. I want to work for that person. I see someone who takes great joy in helping others and I want to work for that person. I see someone who is able to put on a terrific show while enjoying every moment of doing so and who spreads that excitement to her audience and viewers and, again, I want to work for that person.

And, so, I sent off with my résumé. But, can you imagine how many people are also sending mail to Ellen? Why would anyone on her staff read mine? And why, would they then take me seriously? Why would they consider hiring someone, let alone someone from Ohio, for a job that quite possibly doesn’t even exist? Will they even open the envelope?

So, I am back to: How do I get the opportunity to be given, at worst, at least a moment’s consideration – or, at best, an interview?

Why – the Internet, of course!

Thus, the reason for this blog. Add to that a fun project: Doing my part to help Ellen achieve World Domination in 2010. Hah, now you’re thinking: She really is crazy. Aah, but I’m not (just don’t ask my kids). I just happen to have a lot of time on my hands, a sense of humor and a camera.

She has invited fans around the world to send in pictures to her website from where they are. http://photos.ellen.warnerbros.com/galleries/ellens_facebook_fans_around_the_world. My plan – a stop in every county in Ohio – a picture of what I believe I will term “Not Exactly Ellen” in each of those cities. A post for each picture. I can do this. It’ll be fun. I invite you to come along for the ride. Check for stops (posts) from throughout Ohio. Spread the word! Help me find that the one time I choose to be brave enough to do something out of the ordinary I can achieve that goal and not fall flat on my face!

No comments:

Post a Comment